As more and more people in Los Angeles come to rely on rideshare services, like Lyft and Uber, the rate of rideshare-related auto accidents has increased. Liability in such accidents is much more complex than in typical car accident cases, because Uber and Lyft drivers have a different duty of care to others than the average motorist. That being said, they are not technically under the employment of their respective rideshare companies but, rather, are similar to contracted employees. These factors make Uber and Lyft accidents very complicated to litigate.
If you were involved in an accident with an Uber, Lyft, or another rideshare vehicle—whether as a passenger of the rideshare vehicle, the driver or passenger of another vehicle, or as a pedestrian or bicyclist—you do have the right to take legal action to seek compensation for your damages.
Compensation in Uber & Lyft Accident Claims
Both Uber and Lyft offer different coverage levels in the event of an accident, depending on the situation. Coverage only kicks in when the driver has the rideshare app turned on; when he or she does not have the app turned on, neither Uber nor Lyft offer any coverage. Instead, you will need to pursue compensation through the driver’s personal auto insurance policy, just like in any other car accident.
Generally speaking, Uber and Lyft offer the following coverage levels:
- Up to $1 million per accident when the app is turned on and the driver has accepted a ride/has a passenger
- Up to $50,000 per person or up to $100,000 per accident in bodily injury coverage when the app is on but the driver has not accepted a ride/does not have a passenger
- Up to $30,000 in property damage coverage per accident when the app is turned on but the driver has not accepted a ride/does not have a passenger
It is also important to note that this coverage does not kick in until after the rideshare driver’s personal auto insurance liability coverage has been exhausted. It is in your best interests to speak to a knowledgeable Los Angeles Uber/Lyft accident attorney to learn more about the specific compensation you may be entitled to receive, depending on the unique factors and circumstances present in your case.
What To Do if You Are in an Uber Accident
It is important to remember that even after an Uber or Lyft accident, you may still be entitled to financial compensation for your injuries and damages. However, the process of recovering compensation in such cases can be complex due to the unique factors involved – it is best to contact a Los Angeles Lyft/Uber accident attorney as soon as possible following an accident.
Here are a few tips you should remember if you are in a Los Angeles rideshare accident:
- Remain at the scene and assess any injuries that occurred during the accident
- Contact emergency services if anyone has been injured or there is extensive property damage
- Seek medical treatment for any resulting physical or psychological trauma immediately following the incident
- Create a log noting any ongoing symptoms related to your injury over time
- Exchange insurance information with all drivers involved in the crash (even if you were just a passenger in the rideshare vehicle)
- Take pictures of any visible damage from all relevant angles
- Document everything that happened leading up to and including the incident itself (including time, location, weather conditions)
- Gather witness statements if available
- File a police report regarding what happened
- Contact a knowledgeable Uber/Lyft accident lawyer right away
Our team has handled hundreds of personal injury cases; we understand how the process works and how to negotiate with liable parties for the full, fair compensation you are owed. Our attorneys are well-versed in the complexities of rideshare accident claims, and we are prepared to advocate tirelessly for you and your recovery.
"Thank you for the help I received with my case."- Zion M.
"I appreciate all the hard work and dedication you all have put on to settle my case"- Jazmin A.
"Daniel's work ethic is rarely seen in today's era as he works day & night to achieve the best settlement for his clients."- Takuya Y.
"Daniel personally deals with you, which is a great quality that not many lawyers have."- Leona B.
Contingency FeesWe do not collect any fees until we have successfully recovered compensation for you; in the unlikely event we don’t win your case, you don’t pay.
Honest & Trustworthy Legal CounselWe are always honest with our clients; we can discuss the merits of your case and what you can expect from the legal process.
Experienced & Aggressive Trial AdvocatesNot all personal injury cases go to trial, but if yours does, you need an attorney who knows how to fight for you in the courtroom.
Consistent AvailabilityWe are always available to speak to you about your case, and our team will provide consistent updates on the status of your claim.
Personalized Legal AttentionWe are small enough that you matter, yet we have the skill and resources to provide the same level of representation as a large firm.